Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: DocBook Annotations

Norman Walsh wrote:

> In private correspondence, Jeni Tennison pointed out that

> does "the wrong thing" if a naive user tries to get the value
> of the acronym with
>
>   <xsl:value-of select="acronym"/>
>
> but I really don't know what we can do about that.

I raised same issue during DocBook TC teleconference few months ago
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook/200410/msg00019.html). The
resolution was that DocBook already contains several other elements that
are causing the same problem (e.g. indexterm) and thus proposed alt
element doesn't add any new difficulty for processing.

> Although I see the similarity, I'm opposed to replacing footnote. Yes,
> a footnote could be considered a special class of annotation, but the
> fact is, we have hundreds of years of experience with footnotes, and
> we're all used to calling them footnotes. I imagine there are a lot of
> authors that will use footnote without a second's thought that
> wouldn't have any idea what an annotation was for.

+1

				Jirka

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature