Subject: Re: [docbook] CALSpair format alternatives

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:35:28 +0900, Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org>
wrote:

> nico <nicolas.marsgui@libertysurf.fr> writes:
>
>> I would like to have more details about how <area> graphic coords
>> calspair
>> units should be interpreted, and what are the valid formats.
>>
>> In the TDG, only the format "x1,y1, x2,y2" is given (in area element
>> description), but I guess it is not the only one valid if you look at
>> the
>> mediaobjectco, where the format is "x y".
>
> That format in that example is not CALSPair. I think it is LineRange.
>
> But I guess that mediaobjectco example is not so good, because it
> doesn't specify any "units" attribute for Area. To be unambiguous,
> it should specify bothe "coords" and "units".

But in the TDG example (2.0.12) the "units" attribute is set for areaspec.
And I guess that the units are inherited. Right?

<areaspec units="calspair">
   <areaset id="oneway" coords="">
     <area id="oneway1" coords="300 400"/>
     <area id="oneway2" coords="325 340"/>
   </areaset>
   <area id="myhouse" coords="425 590"/>
</areaspec>

> Looking at TDG, I see that there are two attributes, "units" and
> "otherunits", for specifying to an appliation how the value of the
> "coords" attribute should be interpreted.
>
>   The valid values of the "units" attribute are:
>
>   CALSPair
>       The format of the coordinates is “x1,y,x2,y2”

Strange, I haven't the same thing in the area element description. I have:

   'CALSPair

     The coordinates are expressed using the semantics of the
     CALS graphic attributes. The format of the coordinates
     is “x1,y1 x2,y2”.'

That is, there is a space " " and not a comma "," between y1 and x2. Are
both correct?

>> So, are those formats all valid?
>> - "x1,y1 x2,y2"
>
> Yeah, that is CALSPair

Again, for me it is not exactly the same as "x1,y1,x2,y2"

>> - "x y"
>
> That is valid but could be either LineColumn or LineRange

Ok. Does it make sense if for graphic elements these units are interpreted
as the following calspair: "x,y x,y"?

>> - "x1,y1" (if it is valid is it equivalent to "x1 y1"?)
>
> Not valid as far as I know.

Ok.

>> Is there any other valid alternatives?
>
> “line1 col1 line2 col2”