Subject: RE: [docbook] How to model complex procedures, Stepalternatives

Hi Thomas,
thanks for your reply.

> What about this solution:
>
> <procedure>
>    <title>Create a new Document in MS WORD</title>
>    <step>
>      <stepalternatives>
>        <step>...</step>
>        <step>...</step>
>      </stepalternatives>
>    </step>
>    <step>
>      <stepalternatives>
>        <step>...</step>
>        <step>...</step>
>      </stepalternatives>
>    </step>
> </procedure>

Well, I guess that`s the way it is implemented in DocBook and how
actually do it. I just wonder if this is the right way and makes sense.
I'd guess, that in my case it's a work around but not excalty what I
wanted.

> Probably you should rethink your procedure on a textual
> basis. Could you
> simplify your text? This would lead to a simpler procedure which is
> better anyway.
> I don't know of any, but probably they are anywhere. On the
> other hand: In
> my experience as a technical writer, complex procedures aren't really
> useful. Do you think a reader will read, for example, a 15
> step procedure
> with some step alternatives intermixed? :)

Yep. Good answer esp. if I'd have been the author of the procedures :-).
But anyway excellent. I guess I have to rethink my questions.

Thanks.
Ludger