Subject: Re: [docbook] Tell me agian why I need mml:?

On Sunday 06 November 2005 07:34 am, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> Hi,

> I looked at [1] and DocBook 4.5CR1 doesn't contain the XInclude elements.
> However DocBook v5.0b1 does; well, at least as a separate module, see
> [2].
>
> > if I try to use the rnc for DocBook V5.0b1, the
> > xsltproc does this
>
> I am not sure, but I think xsltproc/xmllint supports RNG and not the
> compact syntax at the moment (but I might be wrong.)

I don't think it's using RELAX NG at all. When I run xsltproc on the following
XML file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML 5.0b1//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/5.0b1/dtd/docbook.dtd";>
<book>
  <title>Simple Book</title>
  <chapter>
    <title>Simple Chapter</title>
    <para>Simple Paragraph.</para>
  </chapter>
</book>

it seems to be reading directly from the URL.  But it produces the error I
posted.  If I repace the DOCTYPE with

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML 4.5//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5CR1/docbookx.dtd";>

It processes successfully.  The Saxon8.6 with xsl2 is producing other errors

java -jar $SAXON_HOME/saxon8.jar test.xml /opt/org/docbook/xsl2/html/chunk.xsl
Error at xsl:variable on line 722 of
file:/opt/org/docbook/xsl2/common/normalize.xsl:
  XPST0003: XPath syntax error at char 38 on line 722 in {...ize($attr,
$profile.separat...}:
    Cannot find a matching 2-argument function named
  {http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions}tokenize()
Error at xsl:variable on line 724 of
file:/opt/org/docbook/xsl2/common/normalize.xsl:
  XPST0003: XPath syntax error at char 38 on line 724 in {...ize($prof,
$profile.separat...}:
    Cannot find a matching 2-argument function named
  {http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions}tokenize()
Error at xsl:when on line 102 of file:/opt/org/docbook/xsl2/common/root.xsl:
  XPST0003: XPath syntax error at char 61 on line 102 in {... = fn:node-name}:
    Cannot find a matching 1-argument function named
  {http://www.w3.org/2005/04/xpath-functions}node-name()
Error at xsl:when on line 117 of file:/opt/org/docbook/xsl2/common/root.xsl:
  XPST0003: XPath syntax error at char 61 on line 117 in {... = fn:node-name}:
    Cannot find a matching 1-argument function named

> As far as I know, there is no MathML module for DocBook v5.0 at the moment
> (but I could miss something.) I don't know if the DocBook committee has
> plans to provide MathML modules for DocBook. Maybe someone else can
> answer this issue.
>
> > I'm
> > really not sure which direction to take.  If I can get it all working
> > with DocBook 5.0, that would make the most sense. Can the xslt stuff be
> > made to work with DocBook 5.0?
>
> DocBook v5 is "work in progress" and is considered beta version. IMHO it
> is definitly the way to go in the near future. I think, it looks very
> promising. Unfortunatly the XSLT 1.0 stylesheets doesn't handle every new
> aspect. For this reason Norman Walsh is writing XSL 2.0 stylesheets which
> will do the job. As with DocBook v5, this is also "work in progress". So
> if you work with DocBook v5, you will work with "cutting-edge
> technology". ;)

Indeed, that cuts both ways. :(

> What you can do is:
>
> 1. Stick to the stable DocBook v4.{3,4} DTD and live with the namespaces
> oddities or

The problem is with MathML, the namespace stuff becomes a big issue.  I don't
believe RELAX NG solves that unless the XSLT processor can work with
something other than DTDs.

> 2. Switch to the DocBook v4.5 RELAX NG and tweak it a bit so it supports
> the MathML elements. I found a MathML Schema at [3] but you need to
> convert it to RELAX NG with trang[4]. Maybe there is somewhere else a
> RELAX NG schema for MathML. As you can see, this solution needs a bit
> more work.

I have one from www.mathweb.org, but I'm not sure what it would take to get it
working with DocBook V5.  For that matter, I'm not sure what it would take to
get /anything/ other than nXML working with DocBook V5 at the moment.

> I hope, I didn't miss something important. :)

What's the deal with not having MathML in DocBook V5?  If that isn't
available, I have very little use for DocBook in terms of authoring
mathematical text.  I'm sure there are ways to persuade DocBook to work with
MathML even if it is not part of the specification.  Of course that means
learning yet more about the details of DocBook and the associated tools.
Perhaps the thing to do is to fork a MathDoc project off of DocBook
Simplified.  I'm sure me and the other person on the planet who's interested
in such a product could probably get something working.  BTW, do you happen
to know that other person's name.  I could use some help!

Steven