Subject: Re: [docbook] Tell me agian why I need mml:?

Hi,

On Sunday 06 November 2005 12:55, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> On Sunday 06 November 2005 04:33 am, Thomas Schraitle wrote:
> > Of couse, you can always switch to RELAX NG. This is a schema
> > language that supports namespaces and that doesn't have this
> > problems.
>
> I'm trying to do just that.  Unfortunately, when I use the rnc for
> docbook 4.5CR1, it doesn't like my
> <xi:include xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
> href="glossary.xml"/>,

I looked at [1] and DocBook 4.5CR1 doesn't contain the XInclude elements.
However DocBook v5.0b1 does; well, at least as a separate module, see
[2].

> if I try to use the rnc for DocBook V5.0b1, the
> xsltproc does this

I am not sure, but I think xsltproc/xmllint supports RNG and not the
compact syntax at the moment (but I might be wrong.)

> xsltproc --xinclude\
>  --stringparam base.dir html-out/\
>  --stringparam html.ext .xhtml \
> /opt/org/docbook/docbook-xsl-1.69.1/xhtml/chunk.xsl algebra.xml
> Stripping NS from DocBook 5/NG document.
> Processing stripped document.
> No template matches book.
> No template matches title in book.
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE span PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
> Mathematics&lt;/title&gt;</span>

That looks weird.

> I'm also not sure if I need to explicitly install the MathML module, or
> if it comes built-in with the more recent DocBook distributions.

As far as I know, there is no MathML module for DocBook v5.0 at the moment
(but I could miss something.) I don't know if the DocBook committee has
plans to provide MathML modules for DocBook. Maybe someone else can
answer this issue.

> I'm
> really not sure which direction to take.  If I can get it all working
> with DocBook 5.0, that would make the most sense. Can the xslt stuff be
> made to work with DocBook 5.0?

DocBook v5 is "work in progress" and is considered beta version. IMHO it
is definitly the way to go in the near future. I think, it looks very
promising. Unfortunatly the XSLT 1.0 stylesheets doesn't handle every new
aspect. For this reason Norman Walsh is writing XSL 2.0 stylesheets which
will do the job. As with DocBook v5, this is also "work in progress". So
if you work with DocBook v5, you will work with "cutting-edge
technology". ;)

What you can do is:

1. Stick to the stable DocBook v4.{3,4} DTD and live with the namespaces
oddities or

2. Switch to the DocBook v4.5 RELAX NG and tweak it a bit so it supports
the MathML elements. I found a MathML Schema at [3] but you need to
convert it to RELAX NG with trang[4]. Maybe there is somewhere else a
RELAX NG schema for MathML. As you can see, this solution needs a bit
more work.

I hope, I didn't miss something important. :)

Bye,
Tom