Subject: Re: [docbook] Q: How do I use entities like – in DocBook V5.0?

Steven T. Hatton wrote:

>> XML parser will expand ∄ to a sequence of Unicode
>> characters (and possibly also some markup) before handing in to the
>> application.
>

> In my case I don't want the entities replaced.  I just what them
> validated.

But entities can not be validated. Entites are resolved (replaced)
*before* validation takes place. It is a different stage in the XML
pipeline. The only problem here is that DTD are used for entity
definitions and for validation as well. This is not good design, but it
was caused by legacy. Modern schema languages are dealing only with
validation.

>> You can simply create small file that includes all these tables and
>> then reference just this file from your internal subset.
>

> So we are back to using DTDs.

Yes and no. As it is described in DocBook 5.0 how-to you can use only
that part of DTD which deals with entity definitions. Even in this case
you can validate document against RELAX NG schema.

This simply works, so I don't understand what more you want. Do you want
entites? If yes, then use !DOCTYPE and include needed entity definitions.

				Jirka

Nejbližší termíny školení: XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.
          *** DocBook 5.-7.12. *** XSL-FO 19.-20.12. ***

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature