Subject: Re: [docbook] Whatever happened too CSS+XML?

Noah Slater wrote:

>>So you think really that people will be satisfied with documents where:
>>
>>* are no links
>>* are no images
>>* are no tables
>>* ... and dozen of other features
>

> Ok, this has already been posted in this thread - but here goes:
>
> http://www.badgers-in-foil.co.uk/projects/docbook-css/
>
> Your argument is incorrect - all these ARE possible with DocBook...
> directly in the browser.

No, it is more then correct. Please read carefully text of my message:

> By achieve I mean that it will work at least in a mainstream browsers like IE, Mozilla and Opera.

Show me working link, image and table in IE and I will call you CSS
wizard. Given the IE penetration, solution which is not working in IE is
simply not usable solution.

If you are architecting documentation system it is your responsibility
to deliver content to users in a form which they can easily use. These
days those forms are HTML+CSS and PDF (and some other formats in some
particular cases, like CHM or man). If you have Mozilla or Opera you can
experiment with DocBook XML+CSS, but your user experience will be still
smaller then with HTML generated from DocBook + CSS.

				Jirka

Nejbližší termíny školení: XML schémata (včetně RELAX NG) 7.-9.11.
          *** DocBook 5.-7.12. *** XSL-FO 19.-20.12. ***

S/MIME Cryptographic Signature