Subject: Re: [docbook] invalid characters for ISO-8859-1 response

On 11/1/07, Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> > If you are wondering why UTF-8 is the default output encoding, that's
> > because the DocBook XSL stylesheets support 59 languages, and the
> > easiest way to do that is using Unicode, for which UTF-8 is the most
> > commonly supported encoding.  Does that help?
>
> 59! Is that all :-)
>
> Think what a nightmare it would be for the users
> and the stylesheet maintainers were it not for utf-8
> and Unicode.
>
> regards

Absolutely, but I'm getting "A-hat" characters in the xhtml
output...because my server is sending it as ISO-8859-1. If I can
change the input xml doc to use ISO-8859-1 and also customize the
xsl:output to output ISO-8859-1 --- if I inderstand correctly, that
*should* fix my problem, right? without need to refactor all the
entities in en.xml to literals.

Sorry for dragging this thread on forever, it is a problem I didn't
understand last time I dealt with it at an academic level, and still
am not -- seeing as how it is nearly the exact same scenario (xml/xslt
to xhtml). I have never had this problem before when hand-coding.

--
Anthony Ettinger
Ph: 408-656-2473

http://chovy.dyndns.org/resume/