Subject: RE: [docbook] Transclusion

We implemented our own transclusion operators before XInclude was
stable enough to use.  We use a number of DocBook derived grammars
for specific types of documents (like help systems and manpages)
that have extensions for the specific environments they deliver
content into.  We found the addition of a grammar attribute to
be quite helpful to handle the specialized filtering and conversion
necessary to pull content from help systems and man pages into our
pretty much pure DocBook markup for books in PDF and HTML.  The
preprocessor that handles the transclusion invokes transform
elements based on the grammar attribute.

The transclusion operators also handle the simplest (and we found
the most common) ID collision problem by allowing the ID on the
inclusion element to replace the ID on the included content.  Most
of what we were including was small things like admonitions or
steps, which did not have internal IDs to deal with.  Inclusion
on the section level did not tend to be repeated in the same
document, so this handled most of the problems.  We did have to
come up with an ID naming scheme so that not everyone used the
same ID for the introduction or preface.

Regards,
Larry Rowland