Subject: Re: [docbook] Article in Set not Allowed: Why?

Hi Thomas,
I think up to now putting a collection of articles in a book was considered sufficient. Originally, set was defined as a container for multiple books so that xrefs between books could be validated, since such links have to be in the same document (ID/IDREF). More recently, someone submitted an RFE and made the case for allowing nested sets, supplying a use case that made sense to the DocBook TC. If you want set to contain article, you could file an RFE on the DocBook SourceForge site and present your case. The TC considers all RFEs that are submitted.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net

From: "Thomas Schraitle" <tom_schr@web.de>
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 4:54 AM
To: <docbook@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: [docbook] Article in Set not Allowed: Why?

Hi,

according to the TDG[1], set allows another set or book, but no
article. I'm wondering if there is any reason for this. Just curiosity. :)

It would probably convenient to allow articles in a set. Currently, a
writer is forced to add articles into a book, although they may not fit
thematically together.

What do you think?

------
[1] http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/set.html