Subject: RE: [docbook] Customizing Xrefs to Appendices

Absolutely brilliant.  That did the trick.  Thank you, Bob!

Regards,
Morgan

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: April-25-13 7:33 PM
To: Morgan Hayward; docbook@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Morgan,
I don't think you can do this with just the gentext mechanism.  In the l10n files, "l:context" is a named context for gentext, not the XML context of an element in the document hierarchy.  So that file cannot distinguish if a section is in an appendix or not.

When an xref is being resolved, the stylesheet locates the target element, and applies templates in mode="xref-to" to generate the text for it.
Normally those templates apply templates in mode="object.xref.markup", which triggers the gentext process using the l:template for that element.

You can create a custom template in mode="xref-to" for sections in an appendix and assemble your custom text there.  Something like this:

<!-- the context node here is appendix//section --> <xsl:template match="section[ancestor::appendix]" mode="xref-to">

  <!-- generate the word "Appendix" -->
  <xsl:call-template name="gentext">
    <xsl:with-param name="key">appendix</xsl:with-param>
  </xsl:call-template>

  <xsl:text> </xsl:text>

  <!-- generate the appendix letter -->
  <xsl:apply-templates select="ancestor::appendix" mode="label.markup"/>

  <!-- insert punctuation -->
  <xsl:text>, '</xsl:text>

  <!-- generate the title for the section -->
  <xsl:apply-templates select="." mode="title.markup"/>
  <xsl:text>'</xsl:text>
</xsl:template>

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises