Subject: Re: [docbook] Academic publishing use of DocBook

Hi Brad,

Welcome to the list. My experience with DocBook includes doing some books that are used as textbooks, though we haven't done anything quite as complex as what you describe below.

That said, we have used DocBook for books that had marginal notes, endnotes, and some pretty complex bibliographic entries. You will need to do some stylesheet customization to make some of those things look good, but I don't suspect that's a surprise:-).

You may want to check out the work of the DocBook Publisher's Sub-Committee at OASIS. This group addresses issues of interest to publishers and has developed extensions of the DocBook schema specifically for the publishing community. You can get more information about this sub-committee at: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=docbook-publishers

If you've got questions about the DocBook schema, for example how to use mark up in a particular situation, this mailing list is a good place to go.

If you've got questions about how to make the stylesheets handle a particular situation, the docbook-apps mailing list is the place to go.

I hope that helps.

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton
-------