Subject: Re: [docbook] Refentry in TOC

On 1/7/2015 2:18 PM, Gerard Nicol wrote:
Bob,

That makes sense.

So it looks like I can do this 2 ways:

1. Move my refentries up so that they are directly under a SECT1.
2. Change the TOC logic so that it adds SECT3 into the TOC (because the
refentries are appearing at level 3).

Given the logic of the document, option 1 would be a problem.
Option 2 would be a problem if I had my refentry under a SECT3, because then
I'd have to add SECT3 and SECT4 to my TOC.

Yes, it is starting to get awkward when the refentries can appear at any level, yet you don't want to include sections at the equivalent level.

It would be nice if there was some sort of way you could manually tag
anything to appear in the TOC. Is there such a contingency?

There is no way to manually tag an element for inclusion in the TOC. But since DocBook XSL is open source, you can always customize the templates. In this case, the templates are in autotoc.xsl.

I am presuming that you pickup the SECT3 in the TOC by changing
toc.section.depth from the default of 2 to 3.

Is that correct?

Yes, that's right.

There is always the option of collecting the man pages in an appendix and referring to them from the chapters. Not sure if that fits with the structure of your document, though.

You could also keep them where they are and generate a separate "List of Reference Pages" after your TOC, similar to a List of Figures. That would require a customization modeled on List of Figures.

Bob Stayton
Sagehill Enterprises
bobs@sagehill.net