Subject: Aw: Re: [docbook] LaTeX math inside docbook, on-the-fly MathML conversion?

Yes, I don't care if the MathML cannot be displayed in all browsers.
My question is, how I can convert included LaTeX to MathML, not whether everybody thinks that this is useful.

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 29. Januar 2015 um 21:25 Uhr
Von: "Warren Young" <wyml@etr-usa.com>
An: docbook@lists.oasis-open.org
> On Jan 29, 2015, at 12:46 PM, Marco Giebel <marco-giebel@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> These formulas should be interpreted on the fly to MathML

Are you sure you want to prevent the correct viewing of your document in stock versions of Chrome, IE, and Opera?

http://caniuse.com/#search=mathml

Yes, I know there are browser plugins and hacks like MathJax that can fix this, but…ech.

If you’re also targeting PDF, most XSL-FO processors don’t support MathML, either. Last time I checked, only Antenna House did. I see that they have included it in the commercial version, but it’s still a paid add-on for the Lite version:

http://www.antennahouse.com/product/mathml.htm

When I created the f/Calc manual, I built a bit of Makefile hackery to turn LaTeX fragments into PNG for the HTML version and PDF for insertion into the PDF version by the XSL-FO processor:

http://fcalc.net/manual/
http://fcalc.net/manual.pdf

I think the result is fairly seamless, and it works on all browsers, going back to ancient days.

If you want, I can dig up the recipe. It’s simple enough to be quickly reinvented. I’d post it now, but I don’t have the code on hand where I am now.