Subject: Re: [docbook] How to use classsynopsis and friends

On 6/10/2015 1:48pm, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> I once ran into similar questions...I believe the goal for all those
> *synopsis elements is to act as a refinement for the synopsis element,
> i.e. to let you create a synopsis with substructure. These elements are
> *not* meant to be mixed with text.

I guess I'm just not understanding a fundamental concept in docbook then. I had always assumed docbook was a pure documentation schema and not intended to model real world concepts. When I look at http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/synopsis.html it appears more like a way for a UI designer to model an interface than for a documentation person to describe it to a user. (That is, designed for its structure rather than its ability to generate html/pdf or other output).

> However, like you, I also came to the conclusion that they are very
> limited, so I abandoned their use in my own documentation. However,
> there was a project as part of Boost (http://boost.org) to augment
> DocBook with a more complete vocabulary for API documentation, which
> ultimately became "BoostBook"
> (http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_59_0/doc/html/boostbook.html).
> This has been ported back to DocBook 5 as an "API" extension, but at
> this point is still only available in a branch. (I intend to merge it to
> master soon.)

That looks really interesting. I poked around a bit, but in its currently BoostBook state it looks like too much work to build and incorporate into our workflow. Is the branch something I can easily play with? Or do I need to wait for this to land in 5.2?

I've never used an API extension.

> In the meantime, I suggest to use 'synopsis' only.

Even that seems a little cumbersome. By default all the elements there preserve whitespace, so I'll be struggling a little to render html out of it without overriding all the default html XSLT and removing <pre> and <code> elements from the output.

Thanks
Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis