Subject: Re: [docbook] Re: HTTPS on docbook.org is breaking stuff

On Wed, 2019-05-01 at 08:21 -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> Shaun McCance <shaunm@gnome.org> writes:
> > I maintain a collection of tools in GNOME that includes yelp-check,
> > which has a validator that can automatically detect the input type
> > and
> > do the appropriate thing to validate. By default it uses xmllint,
> > but
> > it has an option to use jing.
> [â]
> > Is there any way docbook.org could just serve the schemas over HTTP
> > as
> > requested? These URIs are kind of API, and the redirects are kind
> > of
> > breaking that. xmllint and jing are both popular tools. I can't be
> > the
> > only person running into this.
>
> Ugh.
>
> No, apparently thereâs no way to serve http: off the current hosting
> provider. And the fact that libxml2 doesnât support https: goes back
> to at least 2016.
>
> Double ugh.

So I managed to get things working using the bit of heuristics in my
original post. Honestly the most surprising annoyance to me was that
jing didn't follow redirects even though it does support https.

> I thought that recent schema catalogs included https: variants as
> well.
>
> I wonder if we can work out why the catalogs arenât working on
> Fedora?

Digging deeper, it seems Fedora's docbook5-schemas package only has the
5.0 schemas. I've filed a bug requesting they add 5.1. Still, looking
at the most recent upstream catalog file here:

https://docbook.org/xml/5.2b05/

It doesn't have the https URIs.

--
Shaun