Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook XSD will be discontinued

Peter Flynn <peter@silmaril.ie> writes:
> On 13/08/2022 16:47, Norm Tovey-Walsh wrote:
>> JÃrgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> writes:
>>> On 17.01.17 00:07, Bob Stayton wrote:
> [...]
>>> Will there be a DTD in 5.2? Are there plans for DTD in 6.x?
>> A DTD would, in principle, be possible as well, but even less useful
>> as it would be both non-normative and have no (actual) support for
>> namespaces.
>
> As those people using DTDs (eg in publishing) are probably not worried
> about normativeness, and even less worried about namespaces, they
> would probably be happy with a DTD that just replicates 5.2's or 6.x's
> changes to element types, content models, and attributes, where that
> is possible, and if it is relevant for what is essentially
> paper/pdf/epub.

Perhaps. I said â(actual)â with respect to namespaces because I expect
youâre right, picking some standard prefixes would probably satisfy most
people. But there are now a number of pervasive content model
constraints that canât be enforced in DTDs, so validation against the
DTD wouldnât mean you had valid documents.

>> Years ago, I thought it would be possible to generate XSD and DTD
>
> It's grown, and become much more powerful than DTDs were ever
> envisaged for, and I'm not sure many people still use XSD, do they?

Thereâs certainly plenty of use out there; some of the newer features in
1.1 go a long way to making it easier to use. But I still donât think
XSD models prose documents very well. And like DTDs canât capture some
of the constraints of DocBook.

Norman Tovey-Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
https://nwalsh.com/