docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] Clarifications / Scope of the intended work?

Dave,

The current thinking with regard to a solution uses XHTML Microformats as
the abstraction layer. All of the standards (DITA, DB, ODF) share the same
structural characteristics (Headings, paragraphs, lists, tables, images,
etc.) albeit in different ways.

The premise thus far is:

1. use standard XHTML markup for common semantic/structural components
(table, img, p, ol, acronym, strong, em, etc)
2. For structural components that do not have an equivalent XHTML mapping,
use <div>
3. For inline semantics that do not have an equivalent XHTML mapping, use

- use the title attribute (available on any XHTML element) to store the
original element name
- use the class attribute to store the "semantic category": e.g.,
"procedural" vs. "list" to delineate between a procedural set of steps
compared to a numbered list

- there are a couple of ideas that we're playing with with regard to
capturing the attribute values from the original source:

a) Use the object tag (with child param tags to capture the name/value
pairs)
b) Use a declared namespace to embed the attributes on the element

These are, of course, open for discussion.

Jim

================
Jim Earley
XML Developer/Consultant