docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] proposed TC name

All,

The problem space that we've identified here is focused around the following type of
user story:

- User A writes content with DocBook
- User B writes content with DITA
- User C writes content with ODF
- User D writes content with OOXML

User A needs to leverage content from Users B, C, and D; User D must share content from
User A and B.

Since each of these "Narrative" XML "Documentation Standards" is semantically different,
the idea is to provide a common interchange markup that enables each of these standards
to write to and subsequently read from. Think "hub and spoke": the hub is the common
interchage markup, each spoke is a particular structured markup standard (and version),
like DocBook 4.4, DITA 1.0, or ODF 1.0

The basic premise is to mitigate the number of transformation scenarios that would
otherwise be required to support interchange between these standards. Additionally:

* Since each standard will continue to evolve, using a common interchange format reduces
the number of transformation permutations required to enable interchange with other
standards
* Other narrative XML grammars, like TEI, DocBook variants, or DITA specializations
could take advantage of an interchange format to enable content sharing with other XML
grammars.

I have written about this topic with several posts to my blog:
http://jims-thoughtspot.blogspot.com/search/label/interoperability

I hope this helps clarify the direction of this proposed TC.

Cheers,

Jim

================
Jim Earley