docstandards-interop-discuss message

Subject: RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] proposed TC name

I agree that "narrative" will have inappropriate connotations - for example, content is often contrasted as being modular (like topic-oriented books and Web sites) versus narrative (like books designed for end-to-end reading). This TC would need to include both types of content.

Peter, do you understand my point about document standards interoperability being distinct from document interchange? The point of the TC is to get the standards-makers involved in defining interoperability scenarios that cross document standards boundaries. Users would also be welcome, inasmuch as they have those scenarios, but generic document interchange as a requirement is too easily met with "let's all just use the same standard", which would be the exact opposite of the point of this TC. IE, you can't get people from multiple different standards communities to agree to work together towards eliminating all but one of them. What you can do is get them to work together towards minimizing the pain of users who have to work across multiple standards. Which is not all users, but does define the subset of users and use cases that would be relevant here.

In terms of the value of the TC, there are already members from the DocBook, DITA, and ODF TCs who think it has value and are already involved. It may or may not have value to you or to the communities you represent, but it decidedly does have value to others. Please see the scenarios discussed earlier in this list, showing the reuse of content between different users in a company across ODF, DocBook, DITA, and specialized DITA boundaries.

In terms of a TC name, I continue to think the name needs to be accurate but need not be wholely self-explanatory. Better to be too loose than too restrictive, and then let the charter wording chart the border more carefully. In other words, we don't need to define every single term we use in the name itself. None of the other TCs do. Does the "Open Document Format" TC define what it means by document? Does the "Darwin Information Typing Architecture" define what it means by information typing? Certainly not in the name. But hopefully yes in the charter.

So, how about:
XML Document-centric Standards Interoperability
- using the term "document-centric" because it appears in the OASIS TC navigation, and covers at least the three starter TCs.
- and then in the charter, make it perfectly clear that we are interested in scenarios that involve reuse of primarily human-readable content into/across different XML document standards, and in addressing those scenarios by defining common requirements and interchange formats and APIs.

Michael Priestley
IBM DITA Architect and Classification Schema PDT Lead
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Peter F Brown" <peter@pensive.eu>

04/24/2007 01:50 PM

"David RR Webber \(XML\)" <david@drrw.info>
cc
"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com>, <docstandards-interop-discuss@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Earley,Jim" <Jim.Earley@flatironssolutions.com>
Subject
RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] proposed TC name

No-one in the public sector will buy that, I fear...

That said, I’m still not convinced of the “value proposition” that this TC would offer: If it is to have legs, I think the “document exchange” idea has to play a larger part.

I don’t want to be too negative, but I just don’t see enough yet to convince me it will fly

Peter

RE: [docstandards-interop-discuss] proposed TC name

Peter,

So back on the naming horse:

 Narrative XML Exchange TC

?

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.