Subject: RE: The DSML 2.0 proposal is not yet transport independent.

I am explicitly proposing that we associate a message ID with each request
or response message within a given DSML 2.0 envelope.  The message IDs are
integers in the range specified by RFC 2251.

A response to a request must have the same message ID as the request.  When
a request message comes in, the transport provides the information on how
to direct the response back to the requestor, and this is out of band with
respect to DSML 2.0 flows.  In the case of HTTP, the response is returned
on the same TCP connection.  In the case of SMTP, the response is returned
to a particular email address.  Other transports use other mechanisms.  The
requesting principal must not reuse a message ID associated with an
outstanding request, i.e. a request for which no response has been
received.  In the case of HTTP, this means that the requesting principal
must not reuse a message ID for an outstanding request on a given TCP
connection.  In the case of SMTP, this means that the sender (using a
single return email address) must not reuse a message ID in a new request
if a previous request with the same message ID remains outstanding.  This
is done to ensure that responses can be unambiguously associated with
requests, as described in RFC 2251.

-- John McGarvey

Jeff Parham <jeffparh@windows.microsoft.com> on 07/28/2001 06:35:17 AM