Subject: Re: schema revisions

I would prefer to only go half way on the attribute thing, something more like:

<filter>
  <and>
    <eql desc="objectClass">person</eql>
    <or>
      <eql desc="sn">smith</eql>
      <eql desc="title">developer</eql>
    </or>
  </and>
</filter>

The rational being that it is possible to have values that are very large and attribute normalization rules re: whitespace etc. would require extra escaping on the value.

A couple of other considerations:

Should the desc attribute be called name to be consistent with the name attribute on dsml:attr from DSML 1.0?
Should there be an optional encoding attribute similar to the one on dsml:value in DSML 1.0 so that binary values can be represented?

Shon Vella
Software Engineer, Consultant
svella@novell.com
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software
www.novell.com

>>> Christine Tomlinson <chris.tomlinson@sun.com> 08/08/01 06:09PM >>>
I've attached a revision of DSMLv2.xsd that uses attributes rather than
elements in the leaves of the filter grammar. Note that we're not
'inventing' a new syntax, but rather adapting the RFC2251 grammar to the XML
domain.

Jeff's example with these revisions is:

<filter>
  <and>
    <eql desc="objectClass" value="person"/>
    <or>
      <eql desc="sn" value="smith"/>
      <eql desc="title" value="developer"/>
    </or>
  </and>
</filter>

which is less verbose and just as usable with XML technologies such as XSLT
which is the basic consideration for making the filter be an XML object, as
I believe others have already discussed. Within the context of a DSMLv2
server there will be opportunities to perform transformations of filters,
predications on filters, etc. For example, a DSMLv2 agent/server might find
it useful to be able to add a condition to the <and> above for example, <is
desc="external"/>. With an XML representation it is straightforward to use
XPath to locate the conjunct and then using a DOM setter to add the test for
before further processing is performed or as the overall object is
reserialized for transport to another DSMLv2 agent/server.

ciao,
Christine