Subject: RE: Allowed top-level elements

How about the following:

(1) A DSMLv2-compliant transport MUST accept dsmlEnvelopeRequests OR
individual requests as top-level elements.

(2) A DSMLv2-compliant transport MUST NOT accept both
dsmlEnvelopeRequests AND individual requests as top-level elements.

(3) Since the transports that the working group is defining -- namely
the file (LDIF replacement) transport and the SOAP transport -- require
dsmlEnvelopeRequest, the flow and focus of the overall spec should
continue to be on interactions that utilize the dsmlEnvelopeRequest
element.  Leaving the details of interactions that do not utilize the
dsmlEnvelopeRequest element to future transport specifications will
allow for maximum flexibility in these yet-to-be-defined transports
while letting the working group concentrate on refining and giving
examples for the already-defined transports.

-J

-----Original Message-----
From: Shon Vella [mailto:SVELLA@novell.com]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 6:15 AM
To: chris.tomlinson@sun.com; Jeff Parham
Cc: dsml@lists.oasis-open.org

I agree that it makes sense to allow either the enveloped or the naked
form in the general specification and leave it up to a specific binding
as to which it will use, but I think an individual binding would be more
straightforward and less confusing if it picked one or the other.

Shon Vella
Software Engineer, Consultant
svella@novell.com
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software
www.novell.com

>>> Christine Tomlinson <chris.tomlinson@sun.com> 08/23/01 07:44PM >>>
In the context of the SOAP binding I agree that a <batch:request> must
be allowed.

I agree that a client should be permitted to send zero, one or more
requests in a <batch:request> (although I'm not sure of the intent of
zero other than perhaps allowing a client to not make a test as to
whether that case occurred). The SOAP binding proposal that was sent out
8/17 didn't preclude this.

The concrete reasons for permitting single operations or alternatively
not mandating the exclusive use of the <batch:request> are:

1) <batch:request> as defined is inappropriate or unneeded in at least 3
reasonable bindings/applications of DSMLv2: a) transactions; b) message
busses; and c) high-latency scripted DSMLv2 services.
2) It is not inherently complex to allow a client and require a server
to handle single operations without using a <batch:request>.

It is appropriate that we define DSMLv2 so that there is a core that is
binding independent and that we define at least the SOAP and file
bindings as normative in DSMLv2. We do not see a benefit to DSMLv2 that
it be a requirement that the core include <batch:...> as mandatory in
all bindings that may be defined in order for the binding to be
considered a valid DSMLv2 binding.

ciao,
Christine