Subject: Re: Allowed top-level elements

I agree that it makes sense to allow either the enveloped or the naked form in the general specification and leave it up to a specific binding as to which it will use, but I think an individual binding would be more straightforward and less confusing if it picked one or the other.

Shon Vella
Software Engineer, Consultant
svella@novell.com
Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net services software
www.novell.com

>>> Christine Tomlinson <chris.tomlinson@sun.com> 08/23/01 07:44PM >>>
In the context of the SOAP binding I agree that a <batch:request> must
be allowed.

I agree that a client should be permitted to send zero, one or more
requests in a <batch:request> (although I'm not sure of the intent of
zero other than perhaps allowing a client to not make a test as to
whether that case occurred). The SOAP binding proposal that was sent out
8/17 didn't preclude this.

The concrete reasons for permitting single operations or alternatively
not mandating the exclusive use of the <batch:request> are:

1) <batch:request> as defined is inappropriate or unneeded in at least 3
reasonable bindings/applications of DSMLv2: a) transactions; b) message
busses; and c) high-latency scripted DSMLv2 services.
2) It is not inherently complex to allow a client and require a server
to handle single operations without using a <batch:request>.

It is appropriate that we define DSMLv2 so that there is a core that is
binding independent and that we define at least the SOAP and file
bindings as normative in DSMLv2. We do not see a benefit to DSMLv2 that
it be a requirement that the core include <batch:...> as mandatory in
all bindings that may be defined in order for the binding to be
considered a valid DSMLv2 binding.

ciao,
Christine