dss-comment message

Subject: Public Comment

Comment from: inma@dif.um.es

Name: Inma Marín
Title: IT Consultant
Regarding Specification: DSS Core Committee Draft 3 (DSS Core Elements)

I have a question regarding <dss:VerificationTime> element. In the specification it is said that this element "instructs the server to determine the signature's validity at the specified time, instead of the current time". How is this verification, taking into account the verification time, accomplished?

I suppose that, once the server has checked that the signature is valid, he checks the signing certificate validation by considering the verification time. But, what happens if the signature has a timestamp token? should that timestamp token be checked taking into account the verification time, too?

Could you be so kind as to clarify the process of verifying a signature by checking the verification time, please?

I also noticed that <dss:VerificationTime> includes a date time but, it is possible to indicate a period of time, that is, re-define this element to include before and/or after date time? Have you considered this possibility?

Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Inma.