Subject: AW: [dss-x] Groups - Additional Slide which explains the relation between DSS and European Citizen Card (OASIS-FORUM-2008-LONDON-v2-20080908-dh.ppt) uploaded

Hallo Juan Carlos,

the additional slide might be explained with the following "sound track":

- While the general DSS approach uses a (more or less) central DSS server
  (slide #4), the DSS concept and the defined interfaces are flexible enough
  to support the "conventional approach" (slide #3) and other emerging
  application scenarios as well.
- Therefore it is possible to support additional application scenarios
  besides the "classical server-based DSS-domains" (archiving, purchasing, billing etc.).
- In particular it is possible to support the typical applications of electronic Identity Documents (eID)
  or eHealth-cards, if one extends DSS to a more comprehensive eID-framework.
- This is precisely what happened during the standardization of ISO/IEC 24727 and CEN 15480
  (aka. "European Citizen Card"). For both standards there is a webservice-interface,
  in which the basic request/response types are derived from DSS. Hence one may
  consider DSS to be the "foundation" of those standards.
- Therefore the DSS interface may be considered to be on a layer on top of
  ISO/IEC 24727 (or CEN 15480, which is based on ISO/IEC 24727 and slightly extends it)
  and therefore becomes the canonical choice for identity cards, which happen to be used
  to produce advanced electronic signatures. As most European eID-cards
  (see http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/6484/5644 for a recent survey)
  are meant to be used for those signature purposes, this combination may turn
  out to be very important in many European countries.

- To complete this to a comprehensive eID-framework, there is a need for a
  high-level "Identity interface" besides DSS, which will most likely be
  specified more closely within the current EU-funded STORK-project http://www.eid-stork.eu/.
- A goal for OASIS should be to harmonize the upcoming interfaces with DSS
  (e.g. propose to use similar request/response structures etc.) and related
  activities within the IMI-charter http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=imi
  for example. As far as I see it there is an interestingly high overlap between
  the stork-partners and the DSS-TC.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you have any more questions concerning the
additional slide.

BR,
  Detlef

p/29321/OASIS-FORUM-2008-LONDON-v2-20080908-dh.ppt