dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Timestamping

Karel,

I think my statement was correct in the context of ISO/IEC 18014-3.
It was also addressing Robert's remark in an earlier message
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dss/200303/msg00021.html)
that "[the] linking methods, by themselves will only tell
a relying party that a timestamp was issued in the time between
the issuance of two other timestamps."

This in no way precludes us from using linking schemes as defined
in ISO/IEC 18014-3 to prove relative temporal authentication for
timestamp tokens issued by the same TSA or cooperating TSAs,
including in the case of the linking schemes proposed by
Lipmaa, Buldas et al.  This is indeed a powerful functionality
of the linking schemes, and it allows relying parties
to make strong assertions about the relative temporal ordering
of the tokens even in a case where the TSA's time keeping may be
deemed unreliable.

> Also, what about the patents by Surety on these schemes?
> (or: what are the "openly specified, reasonable, non-discriminatory
> terms." of Surety about this?)
>
> Karel.

As I posted in an earlier message, Surety will submit a letter
to OASIS stating that it will offer reasonable, non-discriminating,
worldwide licensing terms for the patents it controls.  I don't have
any additional information at this point.

Dimitri