dss message

Subject: Requester Identity (was RE: [dss] requirements draft 4)

I guess I'm not too comfortable with not specifying how to represent the
requester's identity.  It seems to me that this functionality is useful, if
not required, by a number of our use cases and thus we should at least
provide the appropriate machinery for the higher-level standards to call
upon.  I'm also sensitive to the opinion that different applications may
have different requirements upon the method of identifying requesters and
thus the mechanism must be left flexible.

Thus I propose the following compromise text for Section 3.2.1:

If the server is not signing with a key specific to the requestor, then the
server might want to represent the requestor's name, details of how the
requestor authenticated, or other identifying information in signed
attributes.  There are a number of methods for identifying the requester and
various amounts of information that may need to be included regarding
details of the authentication event and delegation of signing privileges.
In order to accommodate these requirements, an extensible list of options
will be included in the definition of the signed attribute.  This list will
include:
- Simple name string
- SAML NameIdentifier
- RFC 3280/X.509 general name (possibly encoded as an LDAP string)
- SAML Assertion
- WSS UsernameToken
- Kerberos
It will be left for higher-level standards that build upon DSS to decide
upon the particular form of identification used in any specific environment
and the amount of information that must be included.

Is this acceptable?

	Robert Zuccherato