dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Comments to draft 6

At 09:25 PM 6/2/2003 +0200, Simeon Falk Sheye wrote:

>A technical rationale for delayed verification responses is that the
>signature service
>may be used by a backend system for validating bulks of incoming signed
>data (forms, mail etc).
>
>An entirely different reason to make delayed response a general option is
>simplicity in the solution.
>I think the final service becomes simpler to use if behaviour is uniform
>across all protocols,
>without too many special cases or exceptions to the rule.
>
>- Any opinions on this?

This would mean that an application that only wants to verify signatures
has to worry about handling delayed responses properly.  If this
functionality is only rarely used, then the inconvenience of having to
support it might outweigh the benefit.

But I guess if an application profile doesn't care about this functionality
it could disallow delayed responses, so it wouldn't hurt much to put it in
the core request/response protocol, and let higher-level profiles decide
whether they support it or not.

I dunno, does anyone else have an opinion one way or the other?

Trevor