dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] EPM use cases: some questions and one requeriment.

Trevor,

My answers within <JC>  </JC> below
Regards

Juan Carlos.

>What about adding a new bullet to 3.6.2, "Whether Information used in
>verification should be returned"?

<JC>See my two last answers</JC>

>You raise another interesting point - I didn't realize that 3.7.5 meant the
>server would return this information as unsigned attributes on the
>signature, I just thought it would return it separately.  This text is from
>Nick, he was probably thinking the same as you.  So I would guess this
<JC>I guess that Nick was also thinking in that....</JC>

>means updating the signature to an XAdES-X-L or something, with all the
>certificate and CRL data attached?

<JC>In XAdES and ETSI TS 101733 (ASN.1 version), the information on validation
data can be added as unsigned attributes in two ways: a piece of data
giving the
REFERENCES to such information, ie, references to certificates in certpath,
references to CRLs and/or references to OCSP responses
used OR the values of CRLs, certpath and/or OCSP responses.
The first alternative is suitable for those situations where such material is
accessible for the client.... The second one covers two situations: those
where this material is not easily accessible to the client, and those
situations
when you want to archive signatures for long periods of time the signature
and use
recurrent timestamping (or time-marking).
The issue then is if we consider realistic situations where someone could
request verification of signature and ask only for references of the
cryptographic material,
leaving the issue of searching the material itself to other service
(archival service) or
to himself (perhaps in closed environments  or in situations where most of
the
signed documents received are coming from entities whose trust hierarchy is
easily accessible....
</JC>

>Is this as simple as the client just saying "yes, attach the verification
>data" or "no, don't", or does the client need to indicate different levels
>of what it wants included?

<JC>As you can imagine, my answer is "depends" on the answer we give
to my previous point. If we conclude that is convenient to cover also the
case where a client can ask for references only, then we have to complete
the text that you propose for the new bullet in 3.6.2 adding something like:
". If this is the case, the client will have to be able to request the
information itself
or references to such information."
</JC>