dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Observations on TST

Nick, Trevor, Tim,

I too agree with Trevor's proposal.  Multiple ds:References could refer
to the same data (using different digest methods) or to different data.

> > >2. The Entrust submission does not include the name of the
> issuer in the
> > >timestamp token.  The rationale is that the token must be
> signed and the
> > >name of the issuer will be found in the subject field of the
> certificate
> > >that verifies the signature.  Perhaps, we should (at least)
> allow for the
> > >optional inclusion of an issuer field, so that a system that uses a
> > >mechanism other than X.509 certificates for integrity can have a
> > conformant
> > >TST.
> >
> > Can we assume the signature's ds:KeyInfo identifies the TSA, whether
> > through a cert or something else?
> >

> Again, lets keep the general structure like a signature

I disagree with Nick's proposal, I propose that we follow Tim's
suggestion and include an optional issuer field in the time stamp info
for the reasons he stated.

> > >3. RFC 3161 and derivatives include optional accuracy and ordering
> > >information.  An alternative approach is to consider these to be
> > aspects of
> > >policy.
> >
> > Fine by me.
> Accuracy: I prefer to keep the optional field so that this can be obtained
> without having to know the policy.  Similarly for ordering.

I agree with Nick's proposal.

> > >4. RFC 3161 and derivatives include a nonce in the TST.  The
> rationale is
> > >that requestors who communicate with the authority over an
> > untrusted channel
> > >must correlate requests and responses.  This correlation could
> > be provided
> > >in the request/response protocol.  But, if that layer uses
> signatures for
> > >integrity (e.g. WS-Security), then two signatures result - an
> > inefficiency.
> > >Is this a common use-case?
> >
> > That seems like a better layering, even if less efficient.  The
> > TimeStampResponse might have other fields in it besides the
> > TimeStampToken,
> > like the StatusInfo, which you would like to be
> > integrity-protected.  Also,
> > we've included a RequestID element in the SignRequest for this same
> > purpose, so why duplicate that in the TST?
> >

> I would like to keep the nonce in the time-stamp token so that it can be
> assured that each token is unique, not just for replay but for later
> reference to the token.

I agree with Nick's proposal.

> Nick
>

> You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/members/leave_workgroup.php

Dimitri Andivahis