dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Observations on TST

Colleagues - I'll work on a revision of the Timestamp token specification.
Specifically ...

1. Import and use the ds:Signature element definition.
2. Introduce an optional Issuer element.
3. Leave the Accuracy and Ordered elements as they are until we have
completed further discussion and come to a conclusion.
4. Leave out the nonce for now.  The issuer/serial will serve to uniquely
identify the token.  We can easily add it back, should we subsequently
decide we need it.

All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Perrin [mailto:trevp@trevp.net]
Sent: Friday, August 15, 2003 2:57 PM
To: Nick Pope; 'DSS'

At 09:32 AM 8/15/2003 +0100, Nick Pope wrote:
> > Trevor wrote:
> > One thing that worries me about the Accuracy field, as in RFC
> > 3161 and the
> > Entrust proposal, is that the client has to add and subtract the
Accuracy
> > field with the timestamp time to determine the upper and lower bounds.
> >
> > Isn't this non-trivial?  The client might have to know how many
> > days are in
> > each month, leap-years, leap-seconds, that sort of thing.
> >
> > Would it be easier for the server to explicitly return an upper and
lower
> > bound, instead of an Accuracy?
> >

>I am not expecting that the upper and lower bounds is the main interest.  I
>see accuracy as a quality indicator.  Changing to upper and lower bounds
>make it much more difficult to decide whether the time-stamp is accurate
>enough for my purposes.

That's true.  I wonder if there's anyone with experience using RFC 3161 who
can tell us how useful Accuracy is, and what it's most commonly used for.

Trevor

You may leave a Technical Committee at any time by visiting
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/members/leave_workgroup.php