dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] plans for next draft

Trevor - There appear to be two strong camps.  One says URIs should
dereference to a document that specifies the semantics of the resource.  The
other says this is inevitably unreliable.  I'm not certain that I've heard
all of the arguments for each camp.  Pending convincing arguments to the
contrary, I put myself in the urn camp.  The semantics may be specified in
several formats (html, pdf, etc.) and new formats may be introduced over
time.  Clearly, we don't want to have different identifiers for each format.

If the ietf has explicitly assigned the urn: "urn:ietf:rfc:3275", with the
exact semantics that we intend, then I agree it is appropriate to use it.
It doesn't seem appropriate for us to assign identifiers in the portion of
the namespace under ietf's control, on the assumption that ietf would have
assigned that identifier in a way that cannot conflict.

All the best.  Tim.

-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Perrin [mailto:trevp@trevp.net]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 5:15 PM
To: Tim Moses; 'Nick Pope'
Cc: 'dss@lists.oasis-open.org'

At 02:53 PM 11/20/2003 -0500, Tim Moses wrote:

>Trevor - The urns have to be in the dss namespace.  E.g.
>urn:oasis-open:dss:signatureType:rfc3275.  All the best.  Tim.

Tim,

2 questions about this:

1)  I take it you think we should use URNs, instead of HTTP URLs (as we've
been doing), for the DSS namespace?

2)  In SAML section 7, they say:

"Where possible an existing URN is used to specify a protocol.  In the case
of IETF protocols the URN of the most current RFC that specifies the
protocol is used."  For example, they use "urn:ietf:rfc:3275" for
authentications performed via XML-DSIG.

Is it your opinion that's a mistake, and *all* URIs we use should be from
our own namespace?

Trevor