dss message

Subject: here()-based XPath Transforms

A slight complication -

XML-DSIG defines a here() XPath function that allows XPath transforms to
take into account the location of the signature.

I have trouble seeing the use of this.  The only useful signature-relative
transform I can think of is the Enveloped Signature Transform.

However, if we want a Signing Server to be able to apply here()-based
transforms, the client would need to inform the server whenever it intended
to insert the signature in one of the Input Documents.  The client would
have to send something like the <SignaturePlacement> optional input:

	<xs:element name="SignaturePlacement">
		<xs:complexType>
			<xs:choice>
				<xs:element name="XPathAfter" type="xs:string"/>
				<xs:element name="XPathFirstChildOf" type="xs:string"/>
			</xs:choice>
			<xs:attribute name="WhichDocument" type="xs:IDREF"/>
		</xs:complexType>
	</xs:element>

I would prefer to ignore this, since I think here()-based transforms are
too marginal a feature to justify special support.

But a similar, more important issue appears with Verification - the server
needs to know which signature is being verified, so it can apply an
Enveloped Signature Transform (i.e. delete the signature before verifying).

Proposal: in the case of an Enveloped Signature, we could *require* the
client to use the <dss:SignaturePtr> feature, to point to the signature
element in one of the input documents.

Anyways, here's an email thread that describes here()-based transforms, and
gives a possible use for them:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-ietf-xmldsig/2000JulSep/0142.html

Trevor