dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] DSS profiles Overview document

Andreas,

See below for my personal views:

I presume that this is not a dynamic aspect of the profile, and so does not
need any signal to the server of the requirement.  So I would suggest that
thid is defined as part of the procedure for the profile.

> - Does anyone has an idea of profile versioning ? Do we want
> version aspects of the profile ( e.g. until 31.12.2006 1024 bit
> key length is
> sufficient, from 01.01.2007 1536 bit keys are mandatory ) or do
> we create a complete new version of the profile ?

I would suggest that things that need to be regularly reviewed such as key
lengths should not be in the profile but managed as part of the policy.
Also, key lengths depend on other factors such as lifetime of certificates
etc.
Finally, in the EU there is already guidance on algorithms and key lengths.

The general issue of versioning of the profiles vis-a-vis the Core, however,
warrents some consideration - Any thoughts Trevor?

> - The german sig law requires that restrictions that apply to the
> signature or the used certificates have to be 'shown' at
> verification time.
> These restrictions usually are attached to the signature as an
> attribute certificate. Does any other profile has such a
> requirement so that it
> would make sense to include such a 'restrictions' element within
> the core schema ?

This could be indicated by the XAdES Signature Policy attribute.

Nick