dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] Bindings

At 09:46 PM 1/27/2004 +0000, Nick Pope wrote:

>I would like to highlight one issue which I not sure how it is being
>addressed:
>
>Bindings to underlying protocols and the security requirement of the
>underling service.
>
>I believe that this specifics of the bindings are best specified in the
>profile but should be common as far as possible across the profiles.

I agree.

>One way to start is to put some text in the time-stamp profile and then use
>this as the basis for bindings in the other profiles.

The time-stamping profile draft [1] has something like that:
"""
2.1  Transport and Security Bindings
This profile is transported using the SOAP-over-HTTPS binding of DSS
defined in ???.  The client MUST authenticate the server and validate the
server's X.509 certificate chain.  The server MAY authenticate the client.
"""

I was thinking of starting a Bindings Document, that we could reference
from the "???".  I would start it off with HTTP POST and TLS bindings, and
then if someone else wants to add bindings for SOAP or WS-Security, they
could do so.

Is that the sort of approach you were thinking of?

Trevor

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/dss/download.php/5121/oasis-dss-1.0-timestamping-profile-spec-wd-02.pdf