dss message

Subject: Schema namespace URL

Frederick has talked with Karl and shed some light on this.

The URL has a directory part and a file part.  The file part is the file
name we're currently using.  When it becomes a standard, an OASIS magic
number will be inserted.  Which may be the year/month or may not be:
  - oasis-dss-1.0-core-schema-wd-16.xsd      (draft)
  - oasis-200406-dss-1.0-core-schema.xsd      (standard)

The directory part should probably be the year/month, since we can't count
on the OASIS magic number to be the year/month.  At least this is what WSS
is doing.  So the schema URLs for the draft and the standard would be
something like:
  -
http://www.docs.oasis-open.org/dss/2004/03/oasis-dss-1.0-core-schema-wd-16.xsd
  -
http://www.docs.oasis-open.org/dss/2004/06/oasis-200406-dss-1.0-core-schema.xsd

I dislike having a changing namespace URI for each version of the
document.  Even once we finalize the committee draft, the namespace will
change when OASIS approves it for standardization.  So we'll have to keep
updating the URI in our products.

Look at how nice the URN is.  It's simple, short, inert, and consistent
with TCs like SAML and XACML:
  - urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema

Well, the consensus is for the URL.  So I'll change it to the URL in the
next draft, unless people have a change of heart.

Trevor