dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] OASIS DSS "Request for Feedback" - Signing Templates

We're off topic, but so as not to leave it hanging ...

> I'm not so sure.  The server can always "protect" itself by putting in the
X509Certificate element that it has "on file."

The DSS KeySelector prescribes use of ds:KeyInfo which as you know is a
choice. If a user wishes to use X509Data as that choice, it is trivial to
cross-check the elements of X509DataType. This can happen just as easily in
a template scenario as in a KeySelector scenario. No diff, mute point. All
other choices can be adequately controlled by the server.

> I'm not so sure.  For example, if I ask for an embedded signature with an
xslt transform -- i.e., the server will return the "modified" document with
signature to me -- then I could probably coerce the server into giving me
files on its local disk that it doesn't want to:

Very simple to address with simple usage provisos. e.g.
The signing template may contain as many valid <Reference> structures as are
required. All <References> and their <Transforms> however must be resolved
within the scope of the <DocumentWithTemplate> element. Users wishing to
sign multiple XML node sets should include them all in the input
<DocumentWithTemplate> element as children of the root.
This is only good practice. System security and protection in Web Server
setting is a whole industry, not concerned.

> Yup, I understand.  That is why I want them to be a separate profile, so
that my server be compliant, not implement them, and therefore be more
secure.

I would argue, a DSS implementor may want to pay the price of the added
run-time checks to keep things tight and secure if it means making things
easier for their client base. An implementer's trade-off decision.

So I take it your in the "keep in the profiles camp"  ;)

Ed