dss message

Subject: Re: [dss] OASIS DSS - SignatureObject on Input

Right now, the Signing protocol always returns a Signature
Object.  Presumably the client can insert that Signature Object into a
document itself.  If the client doesn't want to do that, it can have the
server insert the signature into an Input Document, and return that
document, with the <SignaturePlacement> / <OutputDocument> options.

You're considering the case where the client wants the Signature Object (a
timestamp) inserted into a particular type of document (a different
Signature Object).  I don't think that needs to be a special case.  It can
be handled with either of the mechanisms above:
  - the client retrieves a Timestamp from the server, and inserts it into a
<ds:Signature> itself.
  - the client instructs the server to insert the signature into an Input
Document, with <SignaturePlacement> / <OutputDocument>.

So I don't see a need to add this to the core.

Trevor