dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] OASIS DSS - SignatureObject on Input

At 12:16 PM 9/14/2004 -0400, Edward Shallow wrote:
>Simply put, because what is being passed in is not a Document, it is a
>Signature. Again, you are failing to consider CMS which should clarify it
>for you.

You're right that the <SignaturePlacement> optional input only works with
XML, and thus can't be used to instruct the server to insert a produced
signature (or timestamp) into an input CMS signature.

If we want to support this, I propose we generalize the
<SignaturePlacement> / <DocumentWithSignature> so that it's not XML
specific, but allows the client to indicate any Input Document, even if
it's binary (such as a CMS signature), and receive back a
<DocumentWithSignature> that may be binary as well.

Would you be happy with this?

Trevor