dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] OASIS DSS - SignatureObject on Input

Trevor,

As it applies to the "timestamp this CMS signature please" scenario, your
suggestion works technically (although it is much messier for you and the
protocol), but not semantically. Both the request and the response are just
CMS/PKCS7 SignedData signatures. If one assumes that this is all driven by
an AddTimestamp optional input and the SignatureType is RFC3161, then why
would the client be sending in more than one signature/document ? Hence
<SignaturePlacement> and <WhichDocument> are superfluous in the CMS
scenario. For XMLSig everything is fine. However, the AddTimestamp optional
input section could use some beefing up in the XMLSig area as well.
Examples: If the AddTimestamp attribute specifies a content timestamp, then
SignaturePlacement should be used; If the AddTimestamp attribute specifies a
signature timestamp, then the timestamp will be placed in the same document
as the signature, and SignaturePlacement should be be used to specify the
exact placement (i.e. XpathAfter). This whole timestamp area should be
clarified for both CMS and XMLSig.

In summary, I really see no down side in simply allowing an existing element
(i.e. SignatureObject) to appear in a Sign request for semantic integrity.
Your changes to <DocumentwithSignature> will start to make it look like
<DocumentBase>, and THAT will really get confusing.

Do you have a good reason not to add it ?

Ed