dss message

Subject: Re: FW: FW: [dss] OASIS DSS - SignatureObject on Input

At 01:34 PM 9/16/2004 -0400, ed.shallow@rogers.com wrote:
>OK lets get crunchy. You concede we need change, let's get down to exactly
>what we have to change.
>
>Edward Shallow wrote:

Agreed.

>  This capability is not mentioned anywhere in either the core or
> Timestamp profile and must be added to the text of the core directly, or
> at a minimum mention it and refer off to the Timestamp Profile for details.

Okay.

>>>So this does not get lost in the shuffle, will you be improving the
>>>text here ?
>>>

>>I wasn't planning on it.  With <AddTimestamp> the server sticks a time-stamp
>>on the produced signature.  The client can control the time-stamp only by
>>specifying a "Type" URI (a profile could define URIs for content timestamps,
>>signature timestamps, etc).
>>
>>In other words, optional inputs like <SignaturePlacement> don't control the
>>time-stamp, they control the "primary" signature.
>Absolutely wrong. In the case of a request for a Timestamp, which by the
>way is on the Sign protocol, the timestamp (signature) IS the primary
>signature. In your own words ...

In the case of <AddTimestamp>, the timestamp is the secondary
signature.  Your request, I thought, was to add text about using
<SignaturePlacement> with <AddTimestamp> to apply to the 2ndary
signature.  I pointed out that <AddTimestamp> doesn't apply to the 2ndary
signature, but to the primary one.

>"... In the Sign case, the server is treating the signature as just a data
>element to be signed..."

We need to be careful to distinguish:
  - Use of <AddTimestamp> on a Sign Request to produce a signature
timestamp as a secondary signature
  - Use of timestamp profile to produce a signature timestamp as a primary
signature

>Now the text is totally void on this subtlety because it is void on the
>whole subject of signature timestamp !!!
>
>When are you going to concede that the core doc needs fixing?

I agree this is subtle and not mentioned.  Adding text to explain things is
fine with me.

>>   You're proposing that the
>>client can use optional inputs to control the time-stamp as well.
>>
>No I'm not. If I remember correctly all I asked was that you provide
>better support AND text  for signatures on Sign (i.e. Timestamp) requests.
>Essentially, either add SignatureObject (preferred), or add text which
>officially legitimizes use of the Document w/ MimeType
>"application/pkcs7-signature" claiming it was always there, because it is not.
>>
>>Controlling multiple signatures in a single Request would get complicated,
>>which is why we've specified only a minimal, simple form of it with
>><AddTimestamp>.
>>
>You are not controlling multiple signatures. It is fundamnetally a simple
>sign whose scope is part of the incoming thing as you call it.

At this point we're talking about different things.  I was responding to
your request under "Examples:", above, not your proposal as a whole.

[...]
>Decision 2: DocumentWithSignature only addresses XML and must be
>generalized if you are advocating returning the timestamped signature this
>way. Additionally the text must reflect the rationale as to why this
>generalization exisits.

Agreed.

>>>2) Add SignatureObject as a valid optional input element as suggested.
>>>

>>Like I've said, I'd prefer to handle to-be-signed signatures like any other
>>to-be-signed element.
>>

>>>Issue: The problem with current spec if that there isn't sufficient
>>>generalization of a base Document, or consistency across usage scnearios.
>>>We have documents, we have signatures, and we have documents with
>>>signatures, Documents can only be used on input, DocumentWithSignature can
>>>only be used on output, SignatureObject can only be used on output.
>>>

>>Sounds fine to me.  Except that currently <DocumentWithSignature> can only
>>be XML, so we should extend it to contain the same things <Document> can.
>>
>Decision 3: Change DocumentWithSignature to be a subclass of Document so
>as to pick up the choices.
>P.S. What I was suggesting earlier, is to simply collapse
>DocumentWithSignature and use Document. The flexibility of MimeType
>already supports your arbitrary separation of these 2 elements. Then you
>have a nice simple setup where your only dealing with Documents and
>Signatures. Due to all the optional choices and attributes of
>SignatureObject, I agree we should resist a more total collapse. The only
>down side is that you have the possibility of signatures in both
>constructs. But at least it is down to 2 instead of 3 possible  vehicles.

Maybe we should have a DocumentType, which <Document> and
<DocumentWithSignature> are both instances of.  The problem with just using
<Document> as an optional output, is it might become ambigous which
optional input this corresponds to (say some other profile wants to return
a <Document> optional output).  So calling it <DocumentWithSignature> makes
its semantics clear, and ties it to the the <SignaturePlacement> input.

[...]
>Decision 4: See above. I vote for a partial collapse eliminating
>DocumentWithSignature which is already handled admirably bu Document. In
>the real world a document is a document regardless of whether it is signed
>or not. The signature is in fact just an attribute (read MimeType) which
>qualifies the Document. It is not an entirely different thing. This is the
>beauty of advanced dialects like XML.

I vote for collapsing them in contents but not name (see previous).

[...]
>Decision 5: More than not mentioning it to me, you haven't included any
>text at all in the core covering this scenario and MimeType use. At least
>a sentence or 2 !!!

I'll make a text proposal before the next meeting.

Trevor