dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] ANSI X9.95 and timestamping profile

At 01:28 PM 1/27/2005 -0500, Dimitri Andivahis wrote:
>Trevor, Nick,
>
>This method can be used to assert integrity and time of existence
>of a document in long term archives, while at the same time
>it maintains a clear distinction between the document itself
>(possibly containing electronic signatures) and the collected
>timestamping information about it.  Renewing a timestamp token
>for a given document results in a newly generated timestamp
>token that takes the place of the previous timestamp token.

I understand the point of re-timestamping a document.  I'm just not sure
why you'd want the new timestamp to encapsulate the old one.

>This method has been included in ANSI X9.95, ISO/IEC 18014-2,
>and ISO/IEC 18014-3.
>I expect it will be practiced by vendors who
>follow these standards.

I dunno, "expect" sounds like you're still waiting for people to use it :-)

>If the types and processing rules for supporting the renewal method
>in XML timestamp tokens are defined with some care, it can allow
>for a mix of any XML timestamp token types in the "Russian doll structure".

I'm just not sure it's worth the effort to "define with some care" such a
minor feature (effort to write new text, for the group to review, for
readers of the document, and for implementors).  Especially at this date,
and especially cause the time-stamping profile is minimal and generic in
spirit.

I'd rather have someone do this in a sub-profile if they want.

>There are different possible ways to implement this method within
>the DSS timestamping profile.  One possibility that agrees well
>with the protocols in ANSI X9.95 is to specify the previous token
>in a sign request via a new optional input such as RenewTimestamp:
>
><xs:element name="RenewTimestamp">
>   <xs:complexType>
>     <xs:sequence>
>       <xs:element ref="dss:Timestamp">
>     <xs:sequence>
>   </xs:complexType>
></xs:element>
>
>that carries the previous timestamp token.

That would work, you should propose it at the meeting and we'll get the
group's consensus.

Trevor