dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] ANSI X9.95 and timestamping profile

Juan Carlos,

My comments inline.

Actually, the "timestamp renewal" operation as defined
in X9.95 and ISO/IEC 18014 is a re-timestamping operation
over the original document (plus, over the previous
timestamp, possibly nested).  It isn't just a operation
over the previous timestamp alone.  For example, the new
timestamp may be over a different <DocumentHash> element
for the same document, and the document itself may be any
type of data (signed, unsigned, PDF, doc, etc).
In the case of XAdES, the document of interest is a digital
signature, and there is a similar concept with the use
of archive timestamp(s) folded into the updated signature.

> Concerning the details on how to deal with the
> technicalities in XML....
> I have understood (but perhaps not correctly)
> you propose two alternatives:
> 1. To add the old token as the second child. So that you
> are sugesting to have a <ds:Signature> as the child of
> the <ds:Signature>/<ds:Object> just generated....
> So this would imply that each renewal of the time-stamp
> would imply increase the level of depth at which you would
> have ds:Signature corresponding to former time-stamps...
> Have I correctly understood it?.

That's right.

> 2. To add the old token within the <dss:TSTInfo> so in the
> end, the most recently token would be a <ds:Signature> with
> a <dss:TSTInfo> that in its turn would have a <ds:Signature>
> with another <dss:TSTInfo> with another <ds:Signature> and so on
>
> Well, certainly the alternative 1 somehow makes visible at the
> level of the signature itself the details of the linking in time
> between the token and those previously generated. The second
> one just encloses these details within the <dss:TSTInfo>, and
> the management of all the information of previous tokens would
> be conceptually linked to the processing of <dss:TSTInfo>. I would
> say that if we go on with this work, I would be more in favour of
> this last one.

I tend to agree with your thoughts.

> Regards
>
> Juan Carlos.