dss message

Subject: RE: [dss] Updated nested renewed timestamps

Nick,
Based on your suggestions I updated and attached the nested renewed
timestamps document (track changes against the current timestamping
profile document).  Detailed amswers below.

Agreed.

> 2) 3.2.3
>
> I would use the same word "supported". So:
> "and the server is able to process it" ->
>   "and it is supported by the server"

Agreed.  Similar update in 3.1.1.2.

> Also, I would start the sentence "A server that does not support the
> <RenewTimestamp> optional input must reject the sign request with a
> <ResultMajor> code of RequesterError and a <ResultMinor> code of
> NotSupported." on a new paragraph.

Agreed.

> 3) The definition of Timestamp Token in the Core spec 5.1.1 needs updating
> to allow several objects to be in <ds:reference>.

5.1.1 Replace:
---
<ds:SignedInfo>/<ds:Reference> [Required]
There MUST be a single <ds:Reference> element whose URI attribute
references the <ds:Object> containing the enveloped <TstInfo> element,
and whose Type attribute is equal to
urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema:XMLTimeStampToken.
The remaining <ds:Reference> element(s) will reference
the document or documents that are timestamped.
---
with suggested text:
---
<ds:SignedInfo>/<ds:Reference> [Required]
There MUST be a single <ds:Reference> element whose URI attribute
references the <ds:Object> containing the enveloped <TstInfo> element,
and whose Type attribute is equal to
urn:oasis:names:tc:dss:1.0:core:schema:XMLTimeStampToken.
For every input document being timestamped, there MUST be
a single <ds:Reference> element whose URI attribute references
the document.
[Note: Nothing disallows additional <ds:Reference> elements in <ds:SignedInfo>.]
---

It may be that 5.1.3 step 7 needs to be updated for the less common case of
multiple document hashes (independent of the current discussion):
---
7.	Verify that there is a ds:SignedInfo/Reference element whose URI attribute
correctly identifies the timestamped document.
---
Suggested text:
---
7.	Verify that each timestamped document is referenced by a single
ds:SignedInfo/Reference element.
---

> Also, the proposed text for 3.2.3 could be made clearer by adding to the
> middle of the sentence as indicated in CAPITALS "An additional
> <ds:SignedInfo>/<ds:Reference> REFERENCING THE
> <DS:OBEJCT>/<DSS:PREVIOUSTIMESTAMP> must be included in the
> signature of the
> new timestamp signature"

Agreed.

> 4) 4.1.2 This is only true if <PreviousTimestamp> is supported by the
> server.  Also this is written in terms of what the client may do.  This is
> described in a very long sentence that is very difficult to
> understand.  It
> is not very clear that T1 is the time in a renewed timestamp and T2 is the
> time value in the <PreviousTimestamp>.  Can you have another go at this
> sentence.

I updated my proposed text in 4.1.2, and hopefully made it clearer.
I changed it to a Note (non-normative), since this is really
a use case for nested renewed timestamps and for the
<VerificationTime> optional input in a timestamp verify request.
Not sure if this is the best location for it, an alternative location
could be the end of Section is 3.1.1.2, neither is perfect.

The server cannot check the validity of the timestamp within
<PreviousTimestamp>.  There is no need for extra server side code
that handles the <PreviousTimestamp> object when verifying
XML timestamps of type <ds:signature>.

> 5) It is not very clear that this an optional extension to the basic
> time-stamping profile.  Particularly with verification, how does th cleint
> know whether the server is checking any <PreviousTimestamp>  I
> suggest that
> this would be much clearer if this was defined as a Profile which
> is defined
> in the same document.

I think we covered this issue in a earlier phone conference:
the verifying server cannot check the timestamp within
the <PreviousTimestamp> element for validity, since the verification
protocol specifies document hash value(s) for the outer signature only
(the outermost timestamp).  The client must submit each contained
timestamp separately to a server, along with the corresponding document
hash value(s).

A DSS server could verify all nested timestamps at once if it had
access to the document (not acceptable in timestamping) or if it had
access to all nested temestamp document hash values (not easy to fit).
The most natural solution for this problem is a middleware component
between the dumb client and the DSS server.

> Nick

Dimitri