Subject: Re: [ebsoa] [ebsoa]: FW: the Versatile gateway

Radha,

To add few more words to David's response.

Your service accounting can be outsourced in FERA-based SOA using its semantic-based processing.

FERA-based SOA of course does not implement small and big calculations in it but it enables service(s) implementing functions of that accounting process to be orchestrated, deployed and executed in FERA-based SOA Virtual Machine (SOA Federation) without any coding.

First, you model your service accounting process using FERA ontology entities such as activities, decisions, events,  etc. At the end when you finalize your modeling you will translate it into the Collaborative Process Information Document (CPID) that will contain SOA Information Model for the process: its activities, decisions, their inputs and outputs, services implementing them, accounting rules, etc.. We fully formalize the format of this document in OASIS ebXML Registry standard what is a typical example how FERA-based SOA utilize already available accepted standards.

The CPID contains all details related to the service accounting process at this point. As soon as the CPID is deployed in SOA Federation (Federation Registry and Process Flow Registry) and the first required input(s) become available the service accounting process will start. SOA Virtual Machine what SOA Federation is really all about provides the execution platform whose architectural components already have SOA Collaboration Semantics embedded into them and they understand semantics and logic of SOA IM entities and their associations with other elements in both compile-time (static) and run-time (dynamic) context. If you change your process tomorrow, you will simply modify and re-deploy the CPID or even in real-time add any SOA IM entity or association under certain conditions (fully defined in the SOA Collaboration Semantics specs) that guarantee a full consistency of your currently running transactions.

Please keep in mind that I did not go into all details. I was trying to explain to you how solution looks like on higher lever but if you have questions or need more information please feel free to send them to us. I also hope that you already read  SOA Run-time, SOA Information Model and SOA Collaboration Semantics spec documents that are available in ebSOA document repository. They explain FERA-based SOA in details.

Goran
-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber \(XML\) [mailto:david@drrw.info]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 10:01 AM
To: radha.arur@polaris.co.in
Cc: ebsoa@lists.oasis-open.org, goran.zugic@semantion.com

Radha,

I think this depends somewhat on your pricing model.  For example - if it is access based - then accounting may occur at the registry - that manages active accounts for the month / period.  If accounting occurs based on successful business transactions completed - then it would be in the backend - when the transaction is verified as complete.  If its based on the traditional VAN model of bytes transacted - then ESB hook makes sense.

For me - the key is to have a pluggable architecture - so its easy to add these domain specific tools in a *consistent* way that allows seemless re-use driven by simple XML-script / configuration control.

This takes you away from systems of today - that have hardwired coding everywhere - and therefore the infrastructure cannot easily be shared, re-purposed or quickly adapted.  Ease of change is critical factor - of course anyone can change code and re-build - given enough time, resources and testers.  What we sorely need is ability to manage and implement change easily with minimum resources.

DW