Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] 1/7/2004: BPSS Elements and Reusability

Monica,

I think this needs a complete re-evaluation.

What I'd like to see is a specific <include> statement aimed
at providing re-usable chunks of BPSS.

We of course had to address this early in CAM - providing
sub-assembly - and I must say - we're still not done
tweaking it all - but at least for V1.0 we have the basics
done and a reasonable simple approach - including ability
to treat sub-assemblies as objects.

I think the whole issue of ID's here is a red-herring frankly,
and we should drive around that thinking.

Here's what I think we might be better off brainstorming on.

1) In a simple party collaboration with a single logical thread
    (step A, then B, then C, then D) - re-use is directed via
   the CPA configuring of party profiles.

2) In a multi-party collaboration with multi-threads - each
    such thread can potentially be a sub-BPSS of a standard
    business function (example - shipment delivery).  What
    we really need is the ability to provide linkage control,
    (aka linkage area in BPEL) and common signalling
   techniques - so when you plug-in the sub-BPSS - it
   seats into place with the other parts automatically.

3) The notion of the master-BPSS into which you include
     re-usable sub-BPSS makes most sense.  An override
     approach (again in CAM we've specified how to do
     this generically for any aspect - and then limited it
     in V1.0 so people are trying to do silly things).

4)  What this means is that the sub-BPSS cannot be
      run on its own - its specifically designed to be
      included in - and only contains certain things.
      Similarly you cannot include just any BPSS into
      another one - it has to be designed to work as
      a sub-BPSS and be pluggable.  You should be
      able to follow some steps to convert a working
      standalone BPSS into a sub-BPSS.

Overall the idea is to have a simple and obvious way
to allow sub-BPSS re-use across an industry domain,
that is useful - without making it so complicated that
implementers and users alike will never be able to
use it anyway.

This begs the question - what makes a good re-usable
sub-BPSS - can we can figure a few of those use cases
out - then we can make a first cut and getting something
worth using?  Dare I say this - but the AutoTech GM/Nissan
is a nice example IMHO - where the parts suppliers are
mostly using the same sub-BPSS - while GM and Nissan
control the master-BPSS.... which points up another
aspect of this

5) Parties may only choose to share a sub-BPSS with a
     participant - and not the overall master-BPSS.

Thanks, DW.