Subject: 1/7/2004: BPSS Elements and Reusability

When we discussed Work Item 43 in Monday's teleconference call, Dale
raised a point about reusability related to BPSS elements. This was
prompted from our discussion of name and nameID, and the use of GUID and
GUIDREF.

The team asked if we could explain previous discussions that lead to the
use of GUID and GUIDREF, and explain the intent for reusability.

The earlier discussion stemmed from public comments received on the
nameID [1]
<<According to the UEB architecture v0.32, line 821-827 the parameters
in BPS document are to be considered as default values and a TPA may
override these. If the TPA does so the TPA values take precedence. This
indicates a need of being able to uniqually identify all or most
elements of BPSS documents such as BinaryCollaborations, Transitions,
Business states etc. I dont think the current spec contains such
statement. There are at least two ways to go.1. Add 'ID' identifiers to
all specifications elements such as adding/moving ID to BusinessState
and adding ID to Transition.2. Explicitly state that all Composite
associations are *ordered* and therefore positional/index references may
be used in references. The second solution may also solve the problem
with ConditionalExpression and firing priorities/conflict resolution
since the document order of Transitions may be the algorithm to use.....>>

Resolution at that time was to: Check in specification for elements
without identifiers – Name – attribute with a type of ID, example.
Didn’t use the XML Schema ID type because when you have a package, the
IDs may not be unique. Explain ID type must be unique within a given
document.In addition, for packaging, this could be handled with an
include (see BPSS 1.01, line 1722, section 8.1) that existed for the
ProcessSpecification. Also see ProcessSpecification in 1.05 (See Section
8.1.15). Package specified at 8.1.19.Have a NAME with an associated NAME
ID.XSD ID preferred.NAME within a package (PIP ID in name field for
RosettaNet )

As you can see some of the changes were in answer to this comment and
the need to effectively handle packages.

Martin, JJ, and John Yunker, if you can add to this discussion, I
encourage you to do so. Thanks.

[1] Comments from Anders Tell.