Subject: Re: [ebxml-bp] 12/7/2003: [Fwd: "Late Binding" of TimeToPerform]

David,

Are you saying CPA has those operational performance parameters?

I believe all the performance parameters specified in the (current)  CPA
and BPSS is for communication performances, i.e. when messaging occurs
(here I agree with Anders). CPA has no way to specify performance
constraint of physical business operation (when products are delivered).
BPSS doesn't either. Communication performance and Business operation
performance sit in the different layers.

So... I agree with you in that "there will be some verification in the
process, where the provider doublechecks that the service is indeed
available," but that's a different kind of service from the service we
are talking here in regard to TimeToPerform.

Sorry if I don't understand your intent.

Regards,
Kenji Nagahashi

"David RR Webber" <david@drrw.info> wroteF
> Anders,
>
> I think most companies / transactions use a provisioning
> system in any case.
>
> Only the electricity company perhaps works - when you
> throw the switch!  And of course they have a meter that
> measures the service directly because of that.  Fortunately
> there is not flavours of electricity - it is either there or not!
>
> So - there will be some verification step in the process,
> where the provider doublechecks that the service is
> indeed available - and then they will begin charges.
> Example - the telephone company calls a new
> customer on their number to verify they have
> the service working.
>
> Similarly with delivery of goods.  In services
> of the "beam me up now" type - the customer
> typically has to pre-pay - before the service
> is provided - examples - food.  You do not
> want the customer to eat the food and then
> pay - except in a resturant of course - because
> there you want them to eat more food.
>
> So - I'm seeing BPSS can deliver support
> for the necessary accounting verification and
> payment for delivery - especially with the
> Context Mechanism being able to be used
> at the CPA level.  I think that was the piece
> we were missing before.
>
> Cheers, DW.

TimeToPerform]

> > David,
> >
> > Yes, I can see that we have different views.
> >
> > What I was trying to convey is that there is a difference beweeen
> > * performance (fullfilment) of an obligation in the real world (make
> > service availabe)
> > * performance of the obligation to: Notify the opposite party, when
the
> > service is avilable.
> >
> > BPSS and CPPA are Notification specifications/agreements which can
only
> > handle an approximation of real world events through Notices. Of
course
> > of BPSS is used to perform the delivery then the situation changes,
> > rather difficult to invoke "beam me up scotty" as of today.
> >
> > /anders
> >

> > David RR Webber wrote:
> >
> > >Anders,
> > >
> > >I'm seeing this somewhat differently.
> > >
> > >There are period of performance constraints.
> > >
> > >These are specified in the CPA via the Context Mechanism,
> > >and agreed to by the parties.
> > >
> > >This is BEFORE any exchange takes place - so the parties
> > >are agreeing to these business criteria.
> > >
> > >Now as the interchanges occur - the values and the period
> > >to perform times are mandated and calculated using the
> > >expressions in the Context Mechanism.
> > >
> > >Whether or not the period to perform is selected such
> > >that partners are able to utlize the services in a timely
> > >manner is up to them.  If not - then they should adjust
> > >the criteria in the Context Mechanism expressions.
> > >
> > >Thanks, DW.

Legal

Notices
It
When

> > >are

> that
> and

> > >delivery date for the same instance of a product.

> > >services ordered in different conversations using the same Binary
> > >Collaboration.

> > >with a delivery date 6 weeks from now. It's OK for us if the order
> response
> > >telling us that the supplier can execute this order is sent to us
after,
> let
> > >say, one week. I.e. the value in timeToPerform for this simple BC
should
> be
> > >P7D.

> > >service B that needs to be carried out by the same supplier X
within 4
> > >hours. In this conversation we need to receive an order response
telling
> us
> > >if the supplier is able to carry out the order or not within, let
say, 10
> > >minutes. Otherwise we might need to engage another supplier. I.e
this
> time
> > >the value in timeToPerform for this same simple BC should be PT10M.

> > >(supplier X) and his BSI of the value that should be used in the
> > >timeToPerform attribute for each conversation. One way might be to
use
> the
> > >SBDH. Another way could have been using the ebMS message header if
the
> ebMS
> > >spec had provided us with for example a "timeout" attribute in the
> > >ConversationID element.

> > >timeToPerform attribute in the CPPA spec that the trading partners
could
> > >agree upon should be explicitly specified in runtime. I also think
that
> if a
> > >trading partner is disagreeing with the value given in runtime to
the
> > >timeToPerform attribute and not able not give a substantive
response
> before
> > >the expiration of the time specified it would be appropriate for
him to
> send
> > >an exception signal instead.

Binary

> > >Collaborations that differs only in the timeToPerform value and
where the
> > >process flow it self is exactly the same. First, IMHO I don't think
the
> > >timeToPerform value is always an equally "important" business rule
to be
> > >agreed to and pre-known and determined in the same way as the
process
> flow
> > >it self is. I also believe that this approach could end of with to
many
> > >Binary Collaborations to handle when you actually only need one.

> > >Standard Business Document Header Technical Specification Revision
2.1"
> > >(http://webster.disa.org/cefact-groups/atg/downloads/index.cfm/).
It
> seems
> > >to me as if this specification specifies the things that I
sometimes
> think
> > >needs to be communicated between trading partners at runtime. I
believe
> this
> > >Standard Business Document Header to some degree overlaps the ebMS
spec
> and
> > >especially the ConversationId, Service, Action and CPAId elements,
but at
> > >the same time provide me with most (if not all) of the additional
> > >information elements I have been missing.

> > >"BusinessScope" that in turn contains a "Service Information" block
and a
> > >"CorralationInformation" block. This "CorralationInformation" block
> contains
> > >an element called "ExpectedResponseDateTime" that could be
communicated
> at
> > >runtime between the trading partners and seems to give me what I
have
> been
> > >looking for. See below.

> > ><ExpectedResponseDateTime>2003-05-10T00:31:52Z</
ExpectedResponseDateTime>

> very
> > >>>>

> > >interesting.

> other
> > >>>>

> > >BusinessScope kind of information in a Standard Business Document
Header
> and
> > >when to use the elements provided by ebMS.

> business
> payload
> and

> the