Subject: RE: BusinessActivityBehavior diagram

Bob,
	I am not sure at what level this diagram would be regarded.   I
think there are several layers:

	We operate with a three layer model in our gateway;

	1) Transport Workflow - this handles the incoming and outgoing
messages according to the defined message protocol.  It is this layer
that does initial security checks that validate that we should receive a
message from a trading partner.  It also links the message to a
particular conversation if one is open.

	2) An End to End workflow - that is the equivalent of the BPSS
half that we are running.  It takes in messages and decides which
transaction this message is for using the guard conditions.  It that
passes control to the next layer passing in parameters for TTP and TTAR
etc

	3) A pattern Workflow - that handles the pattenr according to
the relevant transaction.  It despatches receipts and passes messages
into the business.  It will also wait for any responses from the
business.  It will then despatch responses to the transport workflow for
sending over the net.

	With this model each of these layer is represented to some
extent in the diagram I have sent out.  The crucial thing about this
diagram is our interpretation of what to do in the event of an error.
We have taken a quasi - rosettaNet approach of sending Acceptance or
Receipt Exceptions only if there is a response expected.  Otherwise we
relyy on timeouts.  It is this side of the debate that I think the ebXML
team need to examine.

	In fact this does not contrevene what JJ says as the only active
part in this is the sending of receipts and exceptions everything else
is handled by the back end.  However, JJ's comment say nothing of errors
I believe.

Martin Roberts
xml designer,
BT Exact